Sugar Free Detox Inspired Pizza
Every year or so I do a sugar detox to reset my sugar meter. Though it's difficult, a detox leaves you with a realistic assessment of just how much sugar you actually eat. Towards the end of this particular detox I was getting desperate. Meals were getting repetitive and I was craving pizza.
So I researched, and shopped. Finally, I found the ingredients needed for pizza that fulfilled my detox limitations. That's right, there is such a thing a tasty low sugar/carb pizza. The most difficult task was finding sugar-free pizza sauce and crust. I was also amazed at the sugar content in pepperoni (check your labels!). Once you have that figured out, it's just a matter of topping your pizza and broiling until the edges are golden and crispy (6-10 minutes). YUM!
I made a pepperoni, garlic, mushroom, and roasted broccoli pizza, topped with fresh arugula. I nearly died it was soooo good.
If you don't like coconut tortillas then try a brown rice tortilla (Trader Joe's has great options). They have tapioca flour (which is allowed in limited quantities according to the 21DSD updates), but are restricted to 1 per day (I did the cooked rice to brown rice flour conversion 20g/day = 1 tortilla).
- 1 Brown Rice/Coconut Flour Tortilla
- 1 tbsp Sugar Free Pizza Sauce (hard to find)
- 5 slices of pepperoni
- 2 cloves of roasted garlic
- 3 brown mushrooms
- 3 large florets of roasted broccoli
- Preheat oven to broil
- Place tortilla on non-stick pizza pan
- Place pizza sauce in the center of the tortilla, and using the bottom of a spoon, spread the sauce outwards until it meets the edge of the tortilla.
- Add pepperoni and all other toppings except the shredded mozzarella
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella
- Place in oven on middle rack for 6-10 minutes, until edges are golden and crispy
Love low carb recipes? We do too! Try this Creamy Cauliflower & Egg Salad. It's so good!
If you've enjoyed this recipe, please consider passing it along using the share buttons above. And consider joining our email list. We'll send you once-in-a-while updates chock-full of great health and lifestyle tips sprinkled with inspiration and discounts on cool stuff!
© 2018 AMRAP Life All Rights Reserved