Skinny Cheesy Broccoli Spaghetti Squash Boats
We eat spaghetti squash at least once a week. Pretty much anything you can do with pasta we've tried with spaghetti squash. From regular ol' tomato sauce to a lighter feta and sun-dried tomato version - we love us a good spaghetti squash recipe.
This lighter version of the traditional cheesy, broccoli stuffed spaghetti squash recipe is a regular in our home. Super easy to throw together and perfect for a weeknight dinner. You'll love this low-carb recipe!
Skinny Cheesy Broccoli Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 1 medium-sized spaghetti squash, halved, seeds removed
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, extra for topping
- Parsley for garnishing, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Use a large knife to cut spaghetti squash lengthwise. Deseed. Rub the flesh with olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and place squash, halves down on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before handling.
Heat butter and red pepper flakes over medium heat, until fragrant. Add shallot and cook until translucent. Add broccoli and garlic, stirring to combine. Add 2 TBSP water and turn up the heat. Saute for 5 more minutes, or until the broccoli is tender. Add mixture to a large bowl, discarding any left over water.
- Scrape out the seeds of the spaghetti squash and discard, reserving all spaghetti-like strands. Add strands to the large bowl with the broccoli mixture. Combine Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, oregano, basil, and thyme, stirring to combine.
Fill squash boats with broccoli mixture, dividing evenly amongst each half. Garnish with mozzarella cheese and parsley and broil on medium/high for 6-9 minutes, until the cheese is melted and slightly crisp.
Serve with a salad. Enjoy!
If you've enjoyed this recipe, please consider passing it along using the share buttons above. And consider joining our email list. We'll send you once-in-a-while updates chock-full of great health and lifestyle tips sprinkled with inspiration and discounts on cool stuff!
© 2019 AMRAP Life All Rights Reserved